Mungo Park, a British explorer, is not so well-known as some other African explorers. But he did very much to explore the course of the River Niger. By 1793 three British explorers had gone to the little-known part of Africa to discover the source of the River Niger. No one of them was able to carry out the task.
Now a new expedition had been prepared and Mungo Park wanted to take part in it. Mungo Park was one of the thirteen children of a poor Scottish farmer. First he worked for a doctor, he wanted to learn the profession, then he entered the famous Medicial School in Edinburgh. In 1792 Mungo Park sailed to Sumatra as ship’s doctor. After coming back home he published a scientific paper on eight new kinds of fish he had discovered there. Remembering Park’s scientific paper, Joseph Banks, a botanist, recommended him to the people who were organizing the new expedition to explore the Niger. So he was made leader of the expedition. In June of 1795 Mungo Park made his camp at the River Gambia. Then he began his journey. The route of Park’s small expedition laid across mountains. In one place most of the members of the expedition were captured by unfriendly Africans. Park was in a difficult situation, but he went on.
After a long tropical illness he was able to continue the journey. He reached England after an absence of two and half years. Park did not speak much about his expedition. He gave a few lectures and returned to Scotland to his family. In 1799 he published a book about his travels in Africa which was very popular.
A level: True or False. (6 б.)
1) Mungo Park was an American scientist.
2) Two explorers were able to carry out the task.
3) First he wanted to learn the profession of a doctor.
4) In June 1795 Mungo Park made his camp at the River Niger.
5) Park was in a difficult situation and he stopped his journey.
6) Park spoke much about his expedition when he reached England.
B level: Choose the right word. (2 б.)
1) Mungo Park was one of the … children of a poor Scottish farmer.
a) 13; b) 15; c) 11.
2) After coming back home Park published …
a) his first book; b) a scientific paper; c) a book of poems.
3) In one place most of the members of the expedition were captured by…
a) friendly Africans; b) French soldiers; c) unfriendly Africans.
4) He reached England after absence of …
a) three years; b) two and a half years; c) six months.
II Grammar test.
C level: Choose the right from of the verb. (4 б.)
1) Bob … homework already.
a) do; b) has done; c) did.
2) Pupils … on the computer when the lesson was over.
a) were playing; b) play; c) played.
3) The first lesson usually … at 8.15.
a) begins; b) begin; c) began.
4) Ann … the composition before she went for a walk.
a) write; b) wrote; c) had written.
5) This book … at the end of the year.
a) will be published; b) was published; c) published.
6) I … in Volgograd since childhood.
a) live; b) lived; c) have been living.
7) “Around the world in 80 days” was … by Jules Verne.
a) written; b) write; c) wrote.
8) Jim … a book at the moment.
a) reads; b) read; c) is reading.
D level: Answer the question. (3 б.)
What should or shouldn’t a true friend do?
Административный контрольный срез
(промежуточный) по английскому языку
для 9 класса состоит из четырех уровней A,B,C,D.
Первая частьI Reading A level: True or False. B level: Choose the right word.II часть Grammar test. C level: Choose the right from of the verb. D level: Answer the question. Тест универсален и подходит для многих УМК английского языка.
Оставьте свой комментарий: