Title of Lesson: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland: General Outlook
Target age/level: second year /upper-intermediate
Theme: language and problem-oriented teaching
Time required: 1 period
Aims of lesson: 1) linguistic skills development
2) general revision
Objectives:1) a mingle activity with emphasis on oral fluency
2) summering up of the cross-cultural material
3) acting solutions to the problems of choice and preferences
Classroom Techniques: 1) Oral Presentation
2) Variational Drill
3) Information Transfer
Materials Required: 1) handouts “The Land and the Population of the UK”
“Cities and Industry of the UK”
“The Symbols of the UK”
2) pictures “ Sights of London”
3) vidiofilms“The Queen”
4) maps “The UK”
5) the table “The UK: Ten centuries in the Making”
6) computer presentanions
“The Royal Family”
“Britain and the British Quiz”
a) At the beginning of the very first lesson it’s advisable to explain to students the importance of being attentive, following instructions of their teacher. At the same time, can serve as an ice-breaker.
b) To get acquainted with the subject of the lesson the abbreviations THE UK, GB are written on the blackboard. The students are asked to decipher them and think of other names of the country.
e.g. The other name of the country is …
People call this country ….
Here one of the students can read the information about the risght names from the magazine article (Speak Out, 2007)
c) Then the teacher begins the “teaching” part of the lesson with some questions logically leading to the theme and plan of it, e.g. “Can you guess about what are we going to speak today? Why did I ask you these questions? How can they be related to the topic of our lesson today?” Students answer these questions and formulate the topic and the main stages of their work. Then the teacher names the aims and explains the procedure of the lesson.
a) The teacher suggests looking at the map of the UK and tell about the geographical position of the British Isles.
b) The teacher may ask the following questions:
1. Where are the British Isles situated?
2. What is the total area of the British Isles?
3. How many islands are the British Isles made up of?
4. What is the origin of the Isles?
5. Which countries of the UK occupy the two main islands Great Britain and Ireland)?
6. What is the area of the UK?
7. What is the population of the UK?
These questions help to check how students have memorized the information about relief, land and people of the UK.
c) The students tell about the symbols of the four parts of the UK. (The hometask for the lesson).
d) The next task suggests revising the information about the main industries and cities of the UK.
1. What does Great Britain produce and export?
2. What large deposits are there in northern England?
3. Why do most people in the United Kingdom live in towns and cities?
4. What part does London play in the life of the United Kingdom?
5. What goods are produced in Birmingham and Leeds?
6. What is Glasgow famous for?
7. What is Edinburgh famous for?
III. Speaking Activities
a) This kind of speaking strategy gives a chance not only to speak on the topic which summarizes the above-discussed ideas but at the same time to relax a little bit. It is a kind of listening video comprehension. The students see a short film “London” and take notice what places of interest they’ve seen. One of them may comment while watching the film.
b) The next stage of the discussion game is to activate the words on the topic “Sightseeing” for future use. The teacher asks students to choose a postcard from London and tell about it. The students should ground their choice.
c) Then the students work with the map of London tell what else they know about its three parts, metro and the main “house” (Buckingham Palace) in London.
c) The next activity deals with the life of the Royal family. For this purpose the students work with the presentation “The Royal family”. They need to sum up what has been done and said so far. In this activity it is recommended to stimulate students speaking by giving them an example e.g. “The head of state of the UK is ….” It is very important that the students are gradually worked into speaking freely and on the spot. They are involved in it step by step beginning with short utterances and later with more or less long ones.
d) After that 2 or 3 minutes are spent to revise the information about different Royal dynasties. For it the teacher asks one of the students to mark on the map (with the help of the magnet, for example) the most remarkable kings or queens of England.
e) After watching the extract from the film “The Queen” the students are asked some questions about the political system of the UK. The first question is connected to the contents of the extract where they see the meeting of Elizabeth II with the Prime Minister.
1. What kind of political system has Great Britain?
2. What part does the Queen play in the Parliament?
3. Who is responsible for the state policy?
4. How can you explain the name «The Houses of Parliament»?
5. Who do the House of Lords and the House of Commons consist of?
6. What do you know about the Peers benches?
7. Who do we call the Opposition? What is its role in the Parliament?
8. Why is the clock Tower called «Big Ben»?
9. What does the light at the top of the clock tower mean?
a) After the revision of all the material the students are offered “Britain and the British Quiz” (presentation on the computer). In it they choose one of the three answers the questions about the UK. The questions include the additional information from the background knowledge of the students about Great Britain
b) At the end of the lesson the teacher asks students to give their own evaluation of the work done. The teacher also expresses his/her opinion and gives recommendations, estimate students’ work and tells what they are going to do at the next lesson.
Разработка урока по страноведению Великобритании на английском языке. Это обобщающий урок по теме "Соединённое Королевство", направленный на поворение изученного материала по данной теме. Урок направлен на развитие устных навыков говорения, как в диалогической, так и в полилогической и монологической форме. В ходе урока учащиеся работают с наглядными материалами (картами Великобритании, картинками достпримечательностей), видеофильмом о Великобритании, Лондоне и королеве Великобритании Елизавете II, презентацией и текстовыми раздаточными материалами на английском языке. В качестве рефлексии учащиеся выполняют тест в виде компьютерной презентации.
Оставьте свой комментарий:
Комментарии:↓ Показать еще коментарии ↓